Monday, April 21, 2008

Birthday Scrap With The Gals

The Poke Cake

Lisa checking out which pics to scrap

Mich & Jamey hard at work on their scrapping





Friday night my friends Lisa, Mich & Jamey all came out & celebrated my birthday with me. What did we do? Well, we are the ScrapSistas (formerly known as the ScrapSkanks mind you)!

We went to this marvelous little boutiquey place called Paper Niche. Friday nights they offer an evening with dinner & scrapping till midnight. Of course, they hope that you'll spend money on the supplies they have there. And goodness knows that this place has great items. In fact, while I was chatting with the owner & some employees, I even mentioned how pleased I was that they sell items I've been seeing in my scrapbooking magazines. I think that's pretty awesome. In fact, some of the stuff I purchased was found in those same magazines. Yay me!

Jamey made an awesomely yummy cake for my birthday! I'd only heard of a poke cake before, but now I can see why people make them. Super moist & definitely hit that sweet spot! Mich gave me a great 12 x 12 ladybug scrapbook. I've been wanting to do a scrapbook about Erin's hobbies, & now I have the perfect book to use! Lisa did all the driving & gave me the evening out. I love my Sistas!

The only bad thing about it was that Viv couldn't be with us to celebrate. Sheez! This whole living in Canada is putting the kibosh on our parties. Of course, I know that her spirit was with us partying the evening away.

Thanks my friends!


*******UPDATE******************

For those of you who wanted to know what a Poke Cake is:
You bake the cake, & as it's cooling, you poke holes in it with a toothpick. Then you pour either jello or pudding over the top so it seeps into the cake itself. After that, you can either frost the cake or not.

8 comments:

Vivian M said...

I would have been there in a heartbeat if I could have. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!
I still want to know what a poke cake is!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great time. Please explain this poke cake!

C's Mom said...

Looks like a good time...I am a fan of 'scrapskanks' to be honest. LOVE that one ;0)

Yum to the cake and Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Poke Cakes are great. There's a Paula Deen recipe for a similar type cake. The cake is peanut butter. You make a fudge frosting on the stove and pour it over the cake. It fills all the holes and covers the top and then hardens like fudge. Yum!

Anonymous said...

OK, how come I did NOT know it was your birthday???

Happy birthday to you my friend :-)

Gretchen said...

Never heard of a POKE cake but sounds yummy! How nice that you have such a great group of friends to celebrate!

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Happy Birthday my friend. Looks like another wonderful time with the scrapsistas; very fun!! Viv was definitely there in spirit.

Lisa said...

LMAO, geez, we skanks sure get lots of recognition! And what a to do you've started with the poke cakes, ha ha.

I'm so glad we were able to all get out for your birthday night! And Viv, we definitely missed you!