Really? Do you understand what being a friend means? No?
Well, in my opinion a friend:
- Is there to listen without judging
- Cries right alongside you when things go wrong
- Cries right alongside you when things go right
- Laughs with you as opposed to at you
- Understands when you can't afford to go out & do things so sometimes just hanging is okay
- Sometimes a friend takes you out just so you can have some time away from the family because it's really needed
- Comes running when you call & sometimes before you call
I know my true friends. They have made their stance clear to me. Crystal clear. Now I also know that some people think that an acquaintance is as good as a friend, but that just isn't the case. I would do anything for my friends. And they know it. My friends would do anything for me. And I know it. My friends are as loyal to me as I am to them.
I have been spreading myself a little thin lately trying to be that loyal friend that everyone can count on. I'm going to stop running myself around doing everything for everyone. I'm going to take my life back & be with the people I want to be with.
My mother used to tell me that not everyone is a friend. I thought she was nuts. Darn! Moms are always right. Now I have to teach Erin this most basic of lessons. Hopefully she won't get hurt the way I have.