Saturday, July 07, 2012

What I've Discovered

I am sick & tired of feeling the way I do.  I have had a weight problem for most of my life. 

When we were paperchasing for Erin, I started WW.  I was very successful & lost about 30 lbs.  While that isn't near what I needed to lose, I felt healthy & was also learning how to become a mommy to a 10 month old.  I looked at life & decided what my priorities were.  Mommyhood needed to come first.  It took me a long time to put the weight back on - almost as long as Erin has been with us.  Not bad considering that most people put back lost weight within a year or so.

I've finally decided that I need to take the bull by the horns.  What changed?  Well, let's see:

  • My health is starting to suffer.  I'm having a hard time walking without my asthma kicking in &/or my back going out. 
  • Erin is in need of a better nutrition role model.
  • I hate the way my arms feel with all the extra flab.  Gosh! I despise that word but that is exactly what I have.  :-)
  • It's been years since I have been able to wear a button down shirt.  I stopped even trying to find them.  How pathetic is that!?
  • Bras.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a bra in my size!? Nope.  Didn't think so.  (I know.  TMI.)
I now have some major inspiration on my side.
  • I want Erin to see a healthier way to eat.
  • I want Erin to see a healthier me.
  • My friend Sandra.  She has lost a lot of weight, changed her attitude about life.  In fact, Sandra now runs marathons! I am so proud of her.
  •  Unfortunately, I also need to be able to take care of David.  Although he is trying to keep a positive attitude, we both know his health is not great.  I need to be able to help him & can't do that if I feel this way.
It's been a week & a half since I started WW.  My first weigh in I found that I'd lost 4 pounds.  Not bad! Then I admitted to myself that I know the first few weeks are about losing water.  I've made some changes - no more than 1 can of coke a day & drinking plenty of water.  I noticed this past week that most days I'm not even indulging in my coc@ co!a addiction.  Not bad! I'm still drinking coffee with regular creamer but limiting how much I use. 

I weigh myself every morning.  David says I'm going to let myself down.  I believe quite the opposite.  Weighing myself each morning lets me know if the previous day's food was good for me or not.  For example, we eat a lot of Chinese food.  I have to watch which foods or I can gain up to 2 pounds.  Sushi on the other is something I can enjoy with no problem.  I had wings for lunch on Friday.  Not worth it! Grilled turkey sausage links?  Very yummy.  Great treat. 

This morning I ate apple slices.  Most fruit & most veggies are freebies.  I ate the equivalent of 5 apples.  Mindless eating.  Lesson learned?  When I buy prepackaged fruit &/or veggies, I need to portion them out so I eat only 1 portion at a time.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Tammie, I KNOW you can do this. If I can do it, you can!
I used to drink a ton of diet Pepsi. Not anymore! Just water for this girl now (and an occasional Skinny Girl Margarita, of course!).

Portion control and exercise are key. Even if it's just a walk around the block at first.

One thing though - I kind of agree with David on the weighing yourself every day thing. I weigh every Tuesday morning and Tuesday morning only. Our weight fluctuates so much from day to day, you might not get an accurate idea. Of course, I also know you are a smart girl and are going to do what is best for YOU!

Good luck on this journey. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way; just like you've cheered me on. Always. (((HUGS)))

Vivian M said...

I am so very proud of you for taking better care of yourself! It's not about the number on the scale, it is about feeling good and being healthy. And making better choices! Now if only I could practice what I preach!