Friday, January 25, 2008

Not Giving Them One More Penny!

My friend Sandra & I have never met in person, but through the journey of adoption, we have become very close. Over the last 5 (almost 6) years, we have kept in touch & discovered that we share many things in common.
Each day I look forward to coming home from work, spending time with Erin & David & after Erin's bedtime, reading my favorite blogs. Sandra's is one of the first blogs I read. I have to get my daily dose. After all, Jazzie & Erin are both Waiting Hearts children, & Tahlia is from the same SWI that Erin is from. (Lots of red threads pulling us closer.)
As usual, I woke up very early this morning & just had to get my fix since I haven't been online in a few days. Sandra is involved in the deaf community because Jazzie is deaf. BTW, have I mentioned that you need to go read her blog? She's an amazing advocate for the CI (cochlear implant). One of Sandra's who is deaf had a horrible experience at a Steak & Shake. You can read all about Karen's experience on her own blog.
All I can say is that Steak & Shake won't have me adding to their coffers any longer. I am horrified by how Karen was treated.

5 comments:

Vivian M said...

I have never eaten there and I don't think there are any in Canada. What is even more offensive is that someone posted a comment on the ABC article questioning if this was all orchestrated by her so she would have a lawsuit, and another why she did not let her child order for her. Disgusting.
Having been disabled myself, and receiving ignorant comments and lack of care or awareness from people in service oriented jobs, I can totally relate (even though I am not deaf). It is sad that in this day and age there are insensitive and ignorant people out there. It would have taken less time to serve a shake than the argument, grief and all the time/money comsuming follow up that is going to happen. Not to mention that the Americans with Disabiities Act has been around for a long time now. However unfortunate this was for Ms. Putz, I am glad it is getting publicity: maybe something good will come out of this, if at least an awareness of what people with hearing disabilities face, and maybe some more compassion from fast food restaurant employees.

Sandra said...

Thanks for spreading the word, friend...

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

That is apalling and I am happy that the word is being spread about it so change has the opportunity to take place.

Lisa said...

Her son is deaf, too, isn't he? I read her story and I think it's a disgrace. Like Viv said, it would have been faster for him to just shut his mouth and make her the damn shakes! Is it REALLY company policy that orders can ONLY be taken by the speaker??? Somehow I doubt it. Nonetheless, I'm glad that some attention will be brought to the subject. Too many people floating around in ignorance these days.

Karen Putz said...

Thank you for your support! Your daughter is just beautiful! :)