Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Hard Week . . .

. . . was had by all. David took a class up in West Palm Beach this week which threw us all of our regular schedule. Even though he had to be in class by 8:30, he still had to leave early but not early enough that he didn't screw up my basic morning schedule. Since I am in no way a morning person, I don't deal well with change. His class ended at 5:00, & traffic was such that I needed to pick Erin up each day. Need I tell you what the tantrums were like? Even preparing her for the disruption to her routine didn't help. She would be fine when I went in to pick her up but the minute the car was turned on, the screaming began. For the entire 15 minute drive. By the time I pulled into the driveway each afternoon, I was practically in tears myself.
This past Thursday was a horrible day. I work at a bank & having done so for 20 years have been lucky that I've been involved in only 1 robbery so far. Many of my co-workers can't say the same. Thursday afternoon, one of our clients was robbed at gunpoint outside the bank. I can't say any more since the robbers have been caught and are now awaiting trial. However, it was a very stressful day with many tears & emotions running high in our office. I have to say that the police who showed up, were wonderful. They were more than kind to the victim & her grandson along with the bank staff. I have so much respect for these people who each day put their lives on the line for us - total strangers. People make so many jokes about the police that are really unkind. Trust me. (We owned a Dunkin' Donuts years ago, & yes, the police did take their breaks at our counter. However, there many days when they barely got a sip of coffee that they had to run out.) That night I had to attend a workshop for my other job (1st grade teacher at a local synagogue). I wanted the facilitator to know that if I got up & left it had nothing to do with him. That's when I finally heard that the local schools were locked down in the afternoon. Needless to say, I was able to enjoy the workshop & spent 2 hours not thinking of the day's happenings.
This afternoon, we get to have a change in attitude. My dear friend Viv is leaving S FL. She & her family will be leaving this week to move to Canada. Viv is one of my scrapping pals & someone I met through the adoption of our daughters from China. This afternoon, we are having a ScrapSkank party to send her & her family off with our good wishes. And, yes, this is also hard & stinks for me. On the other hand, it is best for her family. Ugh!


C.J. said...

Wow, you've had it goin' on! Catch a break for yourself.

I am still chuckling about the 'scrapskank' party. Love it.

Sandra said...

Whoa, Tammie!!! That is a lot to deal with. Hope you get some quiet time for yourself!

Vivian M said...

Tammie.... I am really going to miss you! You are doing such a wonderful job on the blogging!
Hugs from Vivian M

Shari McConahay said...

Hi Tammie,

Its Shari (your new Target friends)- I was just reading your blog and absorbing as much info as I can here. Thanks for sharing, I can't tell you how much this insite helps us. Believe it or not, I may have a sugestion for you about bedtime. It is based on my experience when I was little. Saying I hated going to bed is an understatement. It actually still stands today - I am a total night person and always have been from as long as I can remember all the way back to crib days. My mom would sort of gradually get me into bed. She would say "Ok its bedtime and I am going to set the buzzer for 5 more minutes." (The buzzer was the timer on the stove.) When it went off, my response was always "5 more minutes". So, I imagine that my mom would plan on 10 instead of 5 minutes. Then when the buzzer went of and I would get into my bed, which was loaded with stuffed animals and toys to play with. I would lay there with 2 night lights on for another 5 minutes after which, my mom would come in for lights out - which was one light since I slept with one on. I know it is a process and it was not as simple for my mom as it sounds. Unfortunately, I have to admit to some screaming, crying and tantrums too, but nevertheless, it worked for the most part and kind of gave me a warning that bedtime was coming soon. Now whe I look back on it, I attribute it to being a night owl and not being tired at bedtime. I hope that my experience can help you a little since your experience is definitely helping us!