Monday, August 20, 2007

The First Day of Kindergarten

Today was that oh so special day that children everywhere look forward to - some eagerly, some not so eagerly. It was the first day of Kindergarten. And Erin was no different.
We started off with a breakfast of pancakes & chocolate milk. I'm always thrilled to pieces when I can get Erin to eat but this is always a winner. My girl chowed down her pancakes happily knowing she was going to wear her favorite color today - pink. Really! Is there any other color? Normally getting Erin dressed is a fight from choosing what to wear to actually getting her into whatever outfit she's decided is okay for the day. This morning Erin decided that she liked the outfit & would be happy to get dressed fairly quickly.
I decided to go in to work late this morning so that I could share some special time with Erin. I'm so glad that I did this. Right as we got out of my car at her school, Erin decided to drag her feet. I guess it finally dawned on her that this was a different thing from camp. She gladly let me snap pics before we got inside.
Once we walked in to her class, Erin saw her friends from camp & last year's Pre-K classes. as we went to her cubby, she got nervous & asked me to stay for a while. Yay! for me. I stayed & chatted with one of the other mothers that I've gotten to know over the past few months. Erin chatted with her friends - especially Sam. They seem to really have fun together so it made the morning easier. I took a bunch of pics & then Erin decided she needed to snap some herself for her scrapbook. By the time I left, she was comfortable.
Tonight we celebrated her special day by having brownies for dessert. (Normally desserts are only allowed on Saturdays.) Then she finished off her day by playing with her Magnetix with her daddy. When she started to clean up (without being told), we knew the day had tired her out.

4 comments:

Vivian M said...

I am so proud of Miss Erin! It sounds like her first day went well!
Kerri and I miss running into her at school every day and getting those big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Erin. Hopefully Jazzie will be just as brave :-)

Unknown said...

Kindergarten, how exciting! I hope days one and two went absolutely perfectly. School is fun!

Michelle said...

How can a girl have a bad day wearing pink I ask? Glad she had a good day...Can you pass the brownies up here?