Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Hate Diabetes!!

Blogging has been a challenge lately. You put so much of yourself into a post but don't want to put your entire life "out there" for the world to see. I try to be positive most of the time, but lately I'm having a tough time. So much is going on between my life & my friends & family - all hard stuff.
David is diabetic but a very well-controlled diabetic. His numbers are amazingly good. He indulges but is careful. Of course it helps that I hound him when I think he's going overboard. Rather than get angry, he lets me know where his numbers are & what he's doing. We tend to have pretty good communication about this issue.
So what's the problem if he's controlled? Well, diabetic neuropathy. It has made life a living hell. David was officially diagnosed as a diabetic after we came home from China. The neuropathy diagnosis came along about 2 years ago & the onset has been amazingly fast. I neither can nor do I want do go into what it's like for him to live in constant horrific pain.
As long as I know David, he's always been a sweater. (Yuck! I hate sweat.) It has gotten so much worse since the neuropathy. He has to wear fentanyl patches for the pain but they come off when he sweats. Insurance covers the cost of 30 days worth of patches. Sounds great, but when you sweat them off, you run short. And then you have to pay for them out of pocket. We have spent anywhere from $300 up to needing to replace a whole month's supply at $1500. You can't just go without the patches either. The pain is excruciating. There is so much more to this
The docs have come up with a plan to help us out though. This past Friday, David was given shots of botox (yes, you read correctly). Botox is supposed to help with hyper hydrosis (a/k/a super sweating). Oh. And insurance does have a code but the dr's office refused to use it. Another $1,000 out of pocket. OTOH, the shots have worked. So far.
If you read this David, I hope you don't mind. I've really been needing to get this crap off my chest. I honestly hope this works - for all of us. Erin doesn't really know of life without diabetes & having to see her daddy when he's in pain just plain ole sucks. It isn't any better for me either.

10 comments:

Candy said...

I hope the Botox helps and that this is not a lifetime need, but a fix to the issue.

I'm here if you need me.

Sandra said...

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, friend. I am sure it has not been easy for any of you.

I hope the Botox will continue to work and that your out of pocket expenses won't get out of hand.

((((hugs))))

Gretchen said...

Your FB posts have indicated you've been dealing with some crappy stuff. Sorry to hear it's David's health. I hope the shots help. My dad lives with chronic pain and I know how miserable it can be.

I hope the Botox helps. Why in the world would the doctor's office refuse to use a code that would allow your insurance to pay?!?

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I can't believe the doctor's office is being so uncooperative. I hope the Botox continues to be successful.

Leah Mei said...

I am sorry you guys have to deal with this. Can you call the insurance company yourself? I filed an appeal for something that was not covered for Leah and they eventually paid it

dawn said...

I have heard great things about Botox and this. If it works and this Doc wont cooperate find a doctor that will.
Sending hugs to you sweet lady.

Vivian M said...

Crossing my fingers that the Botox continues to work...and that David can be pain free.
I hope he understands too, because the entire family is dealing and living with the illness and it affects everyone.
Sending you a huge hug!

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

I am so sorry Tammie. It sucks when we have a health issue and then when our insurance lets us down it adds insult to injury. Knowing you and your wonderful girl, it is quite obvious to me and the world how well you obviously shield Erin from these grown up issues as she shows none of he signs of the stress that is plaguing you. You KNOW that I am here...just reach out and we are there.

jolene said...

I am so glad the treatment is working I know how much you worried about it.....

Super Mommy said...

Sorry to hear this. My cousin had it since she was 7 - she was a real trooper. Praying for you all.