Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Huh? I can't register her? Why not?

I decided that since I'm on vacation this week, I would get Erin registered for 1st grade at her new school. David & I decided that since we have an "A" school right down the block, we would take advantage of it rather than pay thousands for a private school that isn't any better.
I went to the school, found my way to the main office & spoke with someone who looks young enough to be my younger sister about getting Erin registered for next year. Imagine my shock when I was told that I can't register her till the end of April!
WHAT!? What do you mean I have to WAIT!? I have time off NOW!! They didn't even have any paperwork that I could take with me. Right as I was leaving the office, I saw one of those literature carousels & picked through it. I was able to find some paperwork about which store I need to go to so I can buy school uniforms, what supplies are needed for the 1st grade supplies, info on the aftercare program.
Could someone please tell me why I need to send my 6 year old 1st grader to school with not 1, but 2 boxes of baby wipes & a change of clothing? We haven't used wipes since Erin was 4. And, just why would she need a change of clothing? Are they planning a fashion show? Then there are the tissues, crayons, markers, pencils - colored & regular, mind you - dry erase markers & more. What the heck!? Why am I supplying her class for a year's worth of supplies? Just what will she need 6 glue sticks for? I know things have changed, but this is ridiculous. Even worse is the fact that there will definitely be parents who don't send this stuff in for their children. Basically I feel as if I'm supposed to send in enough supplies for Erin & the rest of her classmates.

7 comments:

C's Mom said...

Oh wow...I'm in for it in the years to come. I never would have expected the baby wipes and clothing gig.

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me the things we have to bring in for the class room!!!!!

Lisa said...

Now now, missy! I told you the reason for clothing change is in case they spill or get wet or something. And the baby wipes... well... I'd have to ask for sure what they use them for. I haven't seen them used personally in the time I've spent in the classroom. The glue sticks... well, they spend ALOT of time gluing things, so they do go through them. Dry erase markers? Not sure, but we had to send them in also. It's a pretty standard list for most schools these days. Some items on the list do seem ridiculous, and I jsut went back to look at our school supply lists. No baby wipes in Kindegarten or 1st grade. Hmmmm. We DID have to send underwear and shorts in a ziploc bag THIS year, just in case of accidents (nerves, spills, illness, etc.). Hang in there, doll - these lists go on for years, lol!

Gretchen said...

Sorry to tell you, but it gets worse as they get older....and at the end of the school year, you get a mix-match of half-used items back (usually goes straight into our trash can!)

Our school has "kits" you can buy instead of buying all the individual items. I resisted at first thinking I wasn't saving money, but now I'm all over the kits. Saves a ton of TIME. Check to see if your school has that option (probably through the PTA).

Vivian M said...

Time to join the PTA!

Anonymous said...

Reality will awaken you! Most (all I've been involved with) do use wipes for hands, messes etc - usually they ask for baby wipes as well as clorox wipes (to clean off desks etc) The clothes are in case of an accident (yes, they will occur esp when a kid waits too long to ask to use the bathroom) And all public schools (my experience)do a kindergarten round up and register at the same time. Good luck!

We5Chois said...

Hey Tammie,
I hate to break it to you, but it just gets worse. I bought all the required supplies on both my kids public school supply lists and here we are in March and they are again asking for stuff.
In Cady's class they wanted more wipes, more tissues, plastic silverware, and napkins, not to mention that they are over their allocation of photocopying - so they are cutting back and the parents are sending in reams of paper!!!
As for Aimee's class, I went in to volunteer the other day and they have a ton of the stuff in the closet still, yet there is only 10 weeks left of school.
Oh and Aimee dropped her jade pendant from treasure box today and it smashed on the classroom floor. I asked her if the teacher offered her a new one and she said no, my teacher told me to use superglue at home!!! WTF!! I wouldn't mind, but I (and many of the parents) have sent $$$$'s worth of treasure box items in as donations. You would think they could have given her a new one....